The Lion’s Mane Mushroom (Hericium erinaceus) produces cascading, hair-like clusters that enlarge to the size of baseballs. They thrive in temperatures between 15–25 °C. Also known as Bear’s Head or Monkey’s Head, this mushroom is highly desirable and imparts a “lobster” flavor when cooked with butter and onions.
Nutrition and wellness fact:
Lion’s Mane mushrooms can be enjoyed cooked, dried or steeped as a tea. Their extracts are often used in over-the-counter health supplements. Lion’s Mane mushrooms contain bioactive substances that have beneficial effects on the body, especially the brain, heart and gut. They could protect against Dementia. Studies have found that Lion’s Mane mushrooms contain two special compounds that can stimulate the growth of brain cells: hericenones and erinacines.
These compounds have been found to help relieve mild symptoms of Depression and Anxiety. New animal research has found that Lion’s Mane mushroom extract has anti-inflammatory effects that can reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression in mice.
Step-by-step guide on how to use your Mushroom Grow Kits
- Cut a 1 inch x shape on the plastic bag covering the substrate
- Soak the plastic bag with the x shape cut facing down in cold water for 12 hours
- Sit bag in a bowl of water and mist the whole plastic bag generously 2-4 times a day
- Pick the whole cluster of mushrooms when the caps flatten and enjoy
- Start a new cycle by repeating step 2